Thursday 24 August 2017

Over There

Greetings to everyone in blog land and especially to those of you deigning to read my drivel, I must start this post with an explanation of the title which probably wont mean anything to anyone under the age of 80/90 years.

The title refers to a song written in 1917 by a talented chap called George M Cohan an american as it happens, and it is about the Americans I wish to speak, or rather the Americanisms that seem to be creeping more and more into our language.

Now before we go any further let me state categorically that I have nothing against the Americans, on the contrary I love a lot of the films they make, not to mention quite a few of their tv series as well, I also quite like Harley Davidson motorcycles, so much so in fact that the only motorcycle I have ever bought brand new was an 883 sportster, incidentally it was the bike I was riding when I met my wife, it was also the bike I put the most miles on 18000 in 16 months, happy memories, no I have nothing against the yanks.

That said however I don't want them taking over our country's language and traditions which they seem to be doing more and more, I'm talking about expressions like you guys, buddy, my bad, dude, whats wrong with you chaps, pal, my mistake, mate, the expression you want some candy?  Candy,Candy they're sweets for crying out loud, diapers, that's a load of crap they're called nappies.

The list is endless! you wanna catch a movie? No I want to see a film. You do the math! wheres the bloody S gone? the word's maths, its downright insidious the song said the yanks are coming, no they're not, they're already here, they're taking over, we need to do something now before its to late, I don't want a base ball cap to wear and base ball to watch, I want my old flat cap and raincoat and good old fashioned football on a Sunday afternoon.

Actually I don't want either of those things, I much prefer sky-diving and motorcycle racing, but you get the point.

 Lets leave American to the Americans after all they have the accent for it, me I'd much rather have plain Olde English especially when its cider rather than apple jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment